Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Presenting Wallpaper Wednesday - Totally Toile

I've been obsessed with beautiful wallpaper for well over a decade.  I could spend days looking through wallpaper books and be in heaven.  This love of wallpaper has inspired me to have "Wallpaper Wednesday."  Each week (or as often as possible) I'll have some beautiful wallpapers to view for inspiration.  We won't just be limited to designer wallpapers, we'll look at all kinds even the cheap stuff.  Just because it's a bargain doesn't mean it can't be beautiful!

I taught myself to wallpaper when I was in high school.  My parent's had a very old house.  My Mom wasn't very handy and my Dad had a Depression Era mindset; if it isn't broke - don't fix it!  If I wanted my room painted or wallpapered I had to learn to do it myself.  SO I DID!  I'm so thankful that I have that skill today.  It has saved me a lot of money fixing up old Victorian Homes.  Old Victorian's love wallpaper and they use a lot of it!

I've run into all kinds of challenges with wallpapering.  If you know old homes, you know that nothing is level or easy to work with.  You could say I learned in the boot camp of wallpapering: old homes with unlevel walls and ceilings and sometimes smoke stained or crumbling old horsehair plaster.  You learn quickly how to fix plaster and work with unlevel areas.  There are tricks to wallpapering.  If you have questions, please feel free to ask.  I don't guarantee my advice, so if you take it and it doesn't work - please remember it was free advice.  :-)  The best advice I can give you is to ALWAYS buy extra wallpaper.  Buy more than you need.  It may seem expensive at the time, but imagine if you screw up an area or your measurements are incorrect and you end up a roll (or even a sheet!) short and the paper is discontinued.  It has happened and it is just a nightmare.  Consider it your insurance policy to protect your expensive wallpaper investment.  Trust me and buy at least one extra double roll.  If you have a big pattern that loses a lot with the pattern match then buy two extra!

So let's start our first Wallpaper Wednesday. 

This week's theme is The Toile Light Zone... 

You're traveling through another dimension,
a dimension not only of sight but of mind;
a journey into a wondrous wallpapering land whose boundaries are that of imagination...
That's the signpost up ahead-- your next stop . . . the Toile Light Zone!

Sorry... haha.  Okay on to business.

Which are your favorites?

Powder Room: 

Powder Room with Black and White toile wallpaper
By Joe Cook Interior Design
Blue and White Toile - Schumacher, Pinterest
 
Elegant Bath!  Just love this gold toile wallpaper by Scalamandre wallpaper, Decorated by Pamela Laney


Kitchen:

Daring bright yellow and white toile in the kitchen.  Very cheerful and bright!  Pinterest

Cottage Style - Blue and White Toile Kitchen.  How adorable!  Pinterest


Dining Room:


Brown and White Toile-de-jouy-wallpaper - Pinterest
If you've seen my dining room you already know I'm partial to the brown and white look above.  I love the brown toile.  It really isn't dull at all.  It's very versatile, sophisticated, warm and it's neutral.


Bedroom:

Wonderful gold and cranberry toile.  Love the monogrammed pillows.  Pinterest.



Bedroom in Gray Toile - Pinterest

Please let me know if there are any particular wallpaper topics you want to discuss.  This is just the first of many posts on this topic.

If you've enjoyed this post please subscribe to my page, leave a comment or pass this along to a friend. 

Have a wonderful day!

3 comments :

Jaybird said...

Ahhhhh that is lovely!!!
I just found your beautiful blog and have enjoyed reading backward :^)
I am a toile junkie...I have it in several color combinations and also collect transferware in black, brown, red/ white combos, with the red and white being predominant!
I am a Conn. yankee transplanted to Texas, so your blog is a breath of good New England air for me!!
Blessings to you,
J

Anonymous said...

Hello J!

Thanks so much for stopping by. I'm so glad to find another toile/wallpaper junkie! I've just started collecting the brown transferware. It is so hard to find! I have a lot of red and white too.

I'm happy to be here to give you some nice images to view when you are feeling homesick for New England. :-)

Take care!
Warmly,
Christine

Sal Coraccio said...

Loved this episode of the Toile-light Zone!

Why can't we toile get along?

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comments! Have a great day!